Welcome back to our sustainability series, where we explore every eco-conscious aspect of our Reserve and Avant Garden fragrances—ingredients, packaging and all. Our promise? To never craft fragrances with anything that may potentially be linked to health or environmental issues (see our No-to list).
Today we're focusing on one of several sustainable ingredients within CLEAN RESERVE AVANT GARDEN Muguet and Skin: Cardamom
Cardamom brings a slightly nutty and mildly spicy aura to this scent. Our fragrance house sources sustainable Cardamom from the Cerro San Gil area of Guatemala, an ecological reserve critically affected by deforestation. Harvesting in this region helps provide financial support for local farmers and their communities, and helps maintain natural reserve programs.
5 Fun Facts:
- Cardamom is a spice made from black seeds formed in small green pods. The cardamom pods can be used to make mulled wine, masala chi or even used in potpourri.
- Add a bit to your tea: Cardamom is a natural aid for digestion and helps rid the body of toxins.
- Cardamom is the world’s third most expensive spice, beat in price per weight by vanilla and saffron.
- In 1914, A German coffee planter, Oscar Majus Kloeffer, planted cardamom in Guatemala for the first time.
- Cardamom seeds are a great source of limonene, a chemical found in the peels of citrus fruit used to prevent and treat cancer.