Welcome to our sustainability series Farm Fresh, where we explore the eco-conscious ingredients used in our RESERVE and RESERVE Avant Garden fragrances and share how we give back to our farmers. In addition to supporting the farmers and their communities, we’re committed to crafting products with the safest ingredients, avoiding anything that may be potentially linked to health or environmental issues (see our No-To list).
First, it’s important to truly understand what “sustainable” means.
Here’s how we define it:
- Responsibly sourced and doesn’t deplete the planet’s natural resources.
- Gives back to the farmers and their communities.
- Maintains an eco-conscious life cycle, from green manufacturing to recyclable packaging
Meet Bushman's Candle
Bushman’s Candle, sometimes called Sarcocaulon Mossamedens, is a thorny bush with pink flowers and an aromatic sticky sap. It’s also a signature note in CLEAN RESERVE Sueded Oud, giving this sweet yet smoky scent softness and warmth.
We harvest our Bushman’s Candle from the nomadic Himba tribe of Namibia. In turn, we happily pay fair-trade prices to support their economic development in a way that’s not disruptive to their way of life. Once harvested, we can extract the incense used in CLEAN RESERVE Sueded Oud with Ecocert validated solvents. This ensures the incense remains as pure and natural as possible.
5 Fun Facts
- Bushman’s Candle grows in coastal areas of Namibia and southern Angola, where an abundance of sun helps it flourish.
- This spiny shrub can grow up to 20 inches tall.
- Bushman’s Candle sprouts bright pink, five-petaled flowers.
- The species is named after Moçâmedes, a city in southwestern Angola.
- The amber-scented wax that can also be extracted from Bushman’s Candle can be found in cosmetics and candles.